The QB standard player has a continue (resume) watching feature that can be enabled by adding the Continue Watching Plugin to your app.
The feature behaves according to the following behaviour;
- If the plugin is added to an app then continue watching is applied app-wide
- The continue watching time and metadata about the asset is stored locally on device
- Continue watching only applies to content of type = video. It will not apply to type = program or type = channel
- There is no Cell UI associated with this first release of continue watching (e.g. for playback position bars, or an option to continue from the last watched time or restart the video)
- Items will continue from their last played position according to definable parameters (see below).
- Not yet supported:
- Creating a Continue Watching component with its data source derived from the locally stored information of all part-watched videos.
Ensure the latest available version of the following plugin is added to your app.
All configuration of the continue watching feature is contained within the plugin.
Custom Configuration Fields
Minimum Content Duration Continue watching will only be stored for a video item once the time set here in seconds here has been exceeded. Videos watched then closed up to this time setting will play from the beginning on subsequent viewing. This avoids every single item opened by a viewer being stored if they have only been watched for a very few seconds. The optimum setting for this parameter depends on the kind of content you have in your app and its typical duration e.g. short article clips or trailers can be excluded from continue watching by setting this value to a time greater than those items.
Completion Threshold Continue watching will no longer be updated on a video item once the watched time set here in seconds here has been exceeded. Videos watched then closed after this time setting will play from the beginning on subsequent viewing. This is useful to exclude long movie credit rolls from continue watching.
Update Frequency Set the resolution time in seconds as to how often the continue watching time is stored for all videos. Typically this would set to 10-15 seconds.
Maximum Number of Items Tracked The continue watching time point for videos is stored locally on a device. This value sets a maximum number of items stored in a stack. e.g. If set to 10, once item #11 has its resume watching time stored, then item #1 will no longer be in the continue watching storage stack. This is to avoid overloading local storage (and when supported, the continue watching feed) with a huge number of items.
Image Asset Key Name, Datasource Feed Image and Localisation Not yet supported. Creating a Continue Watching component in a screen is yet to be released.