Applicaster allows for the configuration of display ads on the screen level for UI Builder and Applicaster2 apps. For every screen, you can configure a fixed banner, interstitial or both.
Interstitials can be set up on the screen level via the UI Builder and for apps which manage their content on the Applicaster2 CMS. If an app uses both UI Builder and the Applicaster2 CMS, priority is given to ad units inserted in UI Builder.
Creating a Google DFP In-App Interstitial:
You can find Google's documentation on how to create in-app interstitials here
Note that when configuring the interstitials, there is an option in DFP to "Allow to Scale" and "Allow to Stretch". As device sizes vary, this can help prevent black background space, but this functionality (managed by Google's SDK) works better on Android than iOS.
For more complex implementations (such as universally full-screen implementations), Google supports custom creatives.
Configuring the Interstitial your App:
1) In Zapp, go to the UI Builder section of your app:
2) Select a screen from the list on the left for which you to configure a banner. For our example, we’ll select “All Shows”:
3) Once the selected screen has opened, go to the configuration panel on the right and scroll down to the Advertising Section:
4) Insert the Ad Unit ID for the banner you’d like to display in the given screen in the field titled “Interstitial Ad Unit”:
i- The associated ad unit will be rendered using the ad provider’s interstitial functionality when the screen first starts to render
5) Determine whether to “Display Interstitial Once” -
We recommend leaving this toggled on. If on, the ad unit will be rendered the only once for that screen in a user session. If toggled off, every time the screen renders, the interstitial will be displayed. If other advertising is not used, interstitial campaigns often pay well, but we recommend not overusing, especially in combination with other ads, as over exposure to advertising can lead to user churn and ultimately lower advertising revenue.
6) Hit “Save”
7) If a given screen doesn’t have an ad unit configured in the UI Builder (for example, if it is a template app which doesn’t use the UI Builder), but is an Applicaster2 app (uses Applicaster2 as a CMS), then the device will check the “Extensions” screen for a possible backup ad unit.
i- Zoom out so that you can open the folders which hold Applicaster “Categories” of content
ii- Categories will make up the rows, whereas types of ad units will make up the columns. Where a row correlates with a category associated with a screen and an ad unit is associated with interstitials, the device will pull an ad unit from here (assuming no ad unit is in the UI Builder screen configuration)
8) Extensions cannot be used for the Home Screen, however, if the home screen does not have an ad unit in the UI Builder, a banner for the home screen can be put in the “Advertiser” section of Applicaster2 (even if the app is does not use Applicaster2 for content management).
i- Interstitial fields can be found separately for smartphone and tablet under Advertisers → Application → [Name of App] → Advertiser Settings
Extensions for promotion in Non-UI Builder App (Android Only):
When promoting an Interstitial in Android in a Non-UI Builder app, you are required to add the relevant extensions to the Admin --> Advertiser section in the Applicaster2 CMS, and select the Checkbox to Enable Interstitials.