What are Dynamic Links?
Dynamic links is a tool by Firebase which allows us to create links for different screens in the app like URL Schemes with deep linking abilities. With dynamic link if the app is not installed the user is prompt to install the app by being redirected to the relevant App store and once the app is installed the desired screen or content will be opened.
The following steps are done before running the release build in Zapp to enable the use of Dynamic Links.
1) IOS Only:
1. First we need to enable Associated Domains in ITunes Developer Account. Go to https://developer.apple.com and login to the relevant account you want to set up
2. Click Certificate, ID’s & Profiles on the side menu
3. Go to App ID’s
4. Click on the App ID
5. The following menu will open, click Edit at the bottom of the screen
6. Now you can enable “Associated Domains”:
7. Now you need to create a new Provisioning profile. For that go to Provisioning Profiles in the Side menu
8. Click the + icon on the top right of the screen
9. Select “App Store” option and click Continue
10. Make sure the desired app is selected:
11. Select the relevant certificate and click Continue
12. Type the Profile Name of the file and click continue
13. Download the file you’ve created:
14. With this provision make sure you run the release build after this setup section
15. Go to Firebase console, next to Project Overview click the Settings icon and make sure App ID, App Store ID and App ID Prefix are populated.
16. Download the google-service.json for Android and IOS apps
17. Go to Zapp->general and upload the relevant google-service.json file for both IOS and Android versions
18. In Universal Links add the links from Firebase -> Grow -> Dynamic links copy the url without the https:// prefix and the last slash.
On Android add to: App Links host example: “ u5e28.app.goo.gl”
19. Build a Release version ( not debug)
2) Create a link
1. Go to Firebase and Click Dynamic link on the Side menu after login in
1. The inserted link should be formatted exactly like this: http://action/?query
2. Encode only the url scheme for example: http://presentlayout/?dsid=212593&dstype=category&screenname=show
3. The link name can be anything, it’s only for analytics purposes
4.Copy the short link and that link can be shared with others to open the selected url scheme in the app
Note: on iOS dynamic links can only be used on Release versions, Debug builds will not handle the links
URL Schemes Formats:
Play a VOD item - app URL scheme://play?voditemid=number of VOD item in CMS
- Example: myapp://play?voditemid=562366
Play a live channel - app URL scheme://play?channelid=number of live channel in CMS
- Example: myapp://play?channelid=123
Open a Show category - app URL scheme://present?categoryids=number of category in CMS
- Example: myapp://present?categoryids=564