This document will show you how to create/update the certificate for an iOS app to be uploaded in Urban Airship Project once done.
To update the certificate and make push notifications work on iOS we need to upload the apns.p12 certificate to the app in Airship.
Airship sends a payload of the message (characters and sound) and the certificate to Apple and that sends the push to devices.
- Access to the client's developer account (developer.apple.com...)
- Mac computer with KeyChain Access
Steps to follow:
- Log into developer.apple.com
- Click on Certificates, IDs & Profiles:
- Click on the + sign under Certificates:
- Choose Apple Push Notification service SSL (Sandbox & Production) under services (not software) and click on Continue.
- Select the App ID, taken from the Bundle ID and click on Continue.
- Create a CSR file - Open the Keychain Access app in your Mac, click on Keychain Access on the top left in your Mac and then on Certificate Assistant > Request a Certificate From a Certificate Authority.
- Enter your details
- User Email Address: the same username you used to log into developer.apple.com
- Common Name: something standard that identifies the certificate
Select Saved to disk and click on Continue:
- Return to the Apple developer site.
- Click on Continue on the Create a CSR file screen.
- Upload the CSR file you just created.
- Click on Continue.
- Download the Certificate - this is the public key.
- Activate the Certificate and see it added to Keychain (double click on it)
- Right click on the Certificate and click on Export certificate. Change the type to P12, give it a relevant name (for example com.applicastersupport, if we talk about our app) and it will ask for a password. Use 1234.
- Enter your personal password of your computer.
- Send the password either to your AM, CSM or support team